Wednesday, March 21

The dark side emerges...

Last Tuesday evening my oldest son (17 years old) was viciously hit with an elbow in his high school soccer game and had his nose broke in two places.

I’m still angry. Not quite as bad as last week, but pretty close. (One of my reasons for not having posted in the last few days is that I figured a profanity-laced pastor tirade wouldn’t be appropriate here. Just kidding….sort of.)

The other player was kicked out of the game…in addition, our coaches refused to play the JV game that was suppose to follow because of the absolute lack of control the coach of the other team had with his players, and I’m sure the referee that allowed it to happen will have to answer to his supervisors, but it doesn’t matter…my kid was hurt…and I’m still angry.

There’s just something about seeing your child crumpled up on the ground in a bloody mess as a result of some intentional idiotic act from some other person.

I wanted someone to be held responsible. I wanted some accountability, an apology. I really just wanted to break something over #20’s head.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like the dark side that emerges in me in times like this…in fact, it’s actually surprising and alarming. But, (and you parents out there probably understand this), it’s one thing for someone to mess with you, to do something that harms you, etc, and it’s a whole other thing to mess with one of your kids, or your wife.

You want to protect them…to do anything in your power to keep them from harm (physical, emotional or spiritual).

I’m sure there’s something God wants to teach me through all this…but I probably won’t like it.

May God bring light to all our dark sides…

(By the way, the Karns H.S. soccer coaches handled the situation incredibly and our doctor told us the trainer, Bryn, (sp) saved Michael from surgery this week by snapping his nose back in place immediately after. Much gratitude to you all.)

Mark Nelson at 8:26 AM 5comments

5 Comments

at 9:04 AM Blogger Brokenness-Quebrantado said...

One of the many characteristics of a broken person is the willingness to show himself just as he is. To be vulnerable is a risk we take but I think is a step down into maturity in Christ. When I say "step down" it doesn't mean that we are going backwards, but I believe maturity in Christ is not stepping up so we can grow higher. I think is stepping down so we can grow in humility. Showing your dark side is showing your humanity, is showing just who you are. Didn't Jesus showed his humanity when he arrived to the temple and asked everybody to leave? Henry Nouwen in The Wounded Healer shares some words that I have in my office and I read everyday, "How can wounds become a source of healing? No minister can keep his own experience of life hidden from those he wants to help. No minister can offer service without a constant and vital acknowledge of his own experiences. Making one's own wounds a source of healing, therefore, does not call for a sharing of superficial personal pains but for a constant willingness to see one's own pain and suffering as rising from the depth of the human condition which all men share"

To share the dark side, is when you can really share yourself. I am sorry of what happened with your son, we have an indoor soccer league with the Hispanic Community and it has been a great challenge to maintain a good spirit.

 
at 9:09 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that, Mark. Seriously. Probably one of your best posts (for my reading enjoyment).

Oh, and if you're looking, I know someone who can "take care of people like that." No mess. No worries. He comes cheap. Let me know.

 
at 4:49 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dark side's emergence often realigns us with God's vision for our lives:

http://www.therestorationhouse.net/
Joomla/images/stories/documents/Sacrifice.pdf

 
at 10:45 PM Blogger Nicole said...

Right now I'm reading St. John of the Cross's The Dark Night of the Soul and learning all over again how seeing what is ugly or unattractive about ourselves increases our reliance on God. Not in a permission to be sinful way, but in an increase in humility way.

Get well wishes to Michael. I have both broken my nose and had the subsequent surgery (why hello Mr. Baseball!)and also taken an intentional elbow to the face when I was in a basketball game as a kid. Can't say I enjoyed any of those experiences very much, so I'm so thankful Michael doesn't have to have surgery. Thank God for competent trainers!

 
at 2:43 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering what was up. Tell Michael I hope he feel better and that Owen Wilsons crooked nose is what made him famous. Won't be at book club next week. I'll be in New York living it up.

 

Post a Comment